Quote:

I think theres no doubt that temperature will affect longetivity. The JD 3055 down here in Louisiana has 13,000 hours on the original engine and has been abused (oil chnages every 500 hrs or so, with no air filters changes/maintenance) and still doing well.
Up in Maine/Vermont, you see alot of JDs the same size with the same use with only 4000-7000 hours. We alwasy have to change oil in our 2550 and 6410 from 15w-40 to 5-30 in the winter if we wanted to have reliable starting and then the issue of fuel gelling clogging the filters......
If I had a car I cared about, like if it was my Dads or grandads original 340, 440, hemi etc car, I would not start that below 40 or so. With the carbs and vaporization and oil viscosity, unless its my daily driver I would just hold off. 20w-50 is thick stuff, would not even consider trying to start our diesels with that in it without changing it out. We havn't used it since the late 80s. My

Yep. My '72 318 has lived its whole life in Calif and Western Washington. A few nights in the twenties is all the cold we get. 230,000 miles and it doesn't smoke at all. My '65 327 was in Anchorage, Alaska for only four winters. Lots of short trips. 125,000 miles and its a smoker...