Originally Posted By D_C
I used mine for removing High-Performance, Racing-Type Valve Springs, but admittedly, I haven't needed to use it all that often, so maybe in time, it would fail or develop issues.

I actually bought Two of this type. One was a lot more stoutly built, better materials, so that's the one I used.

Maybe the Proform Tool would last longer with frequent use?

Is this the Proform Shaft Valve Spring Compressor (or maybe this isn't the correct one)?

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/pro-67460/reviews/

Around $70 - $80.

The one review on Summit Racing, said, quote: "Hard to get keepers back in retainers."

Maybe it was operator skill?

Definitely an operator thing , sometimes you might need 2 hands to get the keepers in ?

The craftsman one may not have been the best, I bought 20 years ago, but changing out the springs recently when a Crane spring broke that was speced for a little more that stock Comp hyd. I got from Dwayne porter pretty much killed it.

I have seen some stout ones of the type that are like you posted but they get pretty pricey for what they are and I wanted to step up to something better since you need to take the rockers off anyway and a shaft mounted puller seems to be ... for me ... the better way to go.

Most of my spring work is done with heads on the bench and I recently had to step up my head off the engine compressor because the heavier springs I started to use were getting to be a little too much for my 50yr old C clamp type also.