Quote:

I have the 80672 and it is a great carb. Pig rich on the intermediate circuit out of the box but the nice thing about the Ultra series carbs is that you can replace the fuel circuit jets in just a few minutes and then it is dialed in. I had to drop the intermediate fuel jets about 20 sizes from stock on my carb and then it started to make some serious power on the dyno. Idle and main circuits were spot on right out of the box. Very nice carb and quite a bit lighter since it has the aluminum baseplate and aluminum metering blocks. (I did an article for Mopar Muscle on that carb and its little brother, the 950 UltraHP)

The only serious issue I know of with that carb is that on really powerful motors there might not be enough main well capacity to keep the AF ratio happy at high speed. Some engine builders say that they can't jet them big enough to keep the fuel curve flat on the top end. I'm not sure if that is the truth or a fairy tale but I do know that BLP sells a metering block where they divorce the idle tube from the main well just to solve that issue.

Andy, I ran the 1150 Ultra on a 632 Chevey recently. The motor made 1154hp with a well known "trick" carb on it and 1166hp with an OOTB 1150 Ultra on it. The fuel curve was great, but as you say, it was a touch lean up top. A couple jet changes cleared it right up. Motor made no more peak, but average was better. This motor really needed a 1250, but at this time, the new 1250 Ultra is not ready for release.

Monte