It turns out that of the three boxes I tried, only one got fried, the blue one from summit. I also could have done that with my test setup and the high output coil. So the end result is, I still have no idea why the spark was weak with the other boxes. I could make it work fine on the bench, but not in the car. I checked all the grounds, hot leads, no problems, or at least nun uncovered. The ignition switch was changed, ballasts changed, hot lead for the ignition switch comes directly off the starter solenoid to the new Quickwire fuse box. The end result of all the testing and replacement was I still had a spark that wouldn't jump a gap bigger than 1/4 inch at the plugs, tested on a couple of plug wires and also off the coil wire. I got it to run, but don't trust it. One thing I haven't mentioned that might be an issue is the old ignition module was mounted on an aluminum plate under the dash, which was grounded to the firewall with a 1/4 inch bolt. I didn't see any resistance with the ohm meter though.
Due to this being a street car and I need to trust it, I installed an MSD streetfire. Ordered it from Pep Boys online, got 25 percent off the 149.50 they ask in the store, and picked it up at the store. total cost for piece of mind, $120 with tax.

Last edited by gregsdart; 06/03/15 09:18 AM.

8..603 156 mph best, 2905 lbs 549, indy 572-13, alky