Quote:

I'm rephasing my original four questions:

1) On picking which SS spring to use, is it going to be a trial and error? First try the 002,003 springs, and if too light, go to the 3400-3600# springs? Is that why you stated wildcargo that I should put two rear holes for both lengths of SS springs?

2) Will I encounter anything weird by mounting the axle under the spring?

3) I found some info on mounting the springs. It states the leaf spring should be mounted at a 5 degree rake forward, measuring from the front and rear eyes centerline. Do you guys find that this works?

4) What are the stock shackle lenghts? I'm assuming the different models had different lenghts. The info I found stated you don't want to go more than 1-inch beyond stock. Is this correct?

5) Has anyone mounted the springs at different heights, so the rear of their car sits level, and if you did, did it cause problems with the launch at the dragstrip with slicks?

It is not important weather or not the truck sits level or not in the back. I was just wondering if it makes a difference, thats all.

Thanks guys,

Dave

#1 Dave Jerry Stine told me he liked the 02 03 springs he ran a lot more than me but that was a stocker. I had 3800# SS/springs when I built the car so that is what I used. It hopped untill I put loweing blocks in it looked like a rabit going dow the track . then I tryed 2800# springs but because the 3800# springs were 1" longer I had the wrong angle on the rear shackel, so I used the main leaf from the 3800# spring and the rest of the leafs from the 2800# spring with the extra 1/2 leaf on top of the front section that is the setup that has worked for me. it looks werd as that extra 1" past the second leaf realy bends down,

#2 I can't ansure as I have never put the rear under the spring

#3 I would think that as the front spring eye went higher it would hit the tire harder like raseing a ladderbar in the front, and lower would hit lesshard but keep it planted longer. my thaughts

#4 I run a rear shackel that is 1 1/2 longer with 2 holes thay sold them back in the 60s but thay are easy to make from 3/8 x 1 1/4 bar stock or simalur

#5 I found my car likes the rear no more than 2" higher than the front mesured at the sill, I have tryed pinion angles from 10* to 5* and mine like 8* or more. If you click on attachment of the photo of my car you will see That the rear of the spring pack is allmost hitting the ground. That was my 10.08 run and my 1.43 60'

Hope some of this is a help but your truck is going to be a lerning thing like my car was but that is part of the fun. People like the way my car leaves, but it runs the # allso
Have fun Bud

One more thing on Landy's car that had the rear on top of the spring, thay had a beam welded acrost where the pinion snuber is with the pinion snuber up agensted it in the photo I have. I have seen cars rock back a forth going down the track when thay rode the snuber hard.

Last edited by wildcargo; 01/04/09 11:19 AM.

Bud www.wildcar-go.itgo.com
64 DODGE
60' 1.433,
1/8 6.38 at 107.4,
1/4 10.08 at 132.02
foot brake, leaf springs