Quote:

My friend and I actually had that problem with the cheap flaring tools. We had some coated brake lines (from an Autozone or O'Reilly) we used and for whatever reason the flaring tool couldn't get a good grip onto it to flare it so we had to borrow one of my friend's tools to get the job done. But later on we decided to swap over to the non-coated lines as that also improved flaring and bending capabilities.

So NAPA should have a "quality" kind. I'd like to get a start on this tomorrow so maybe I'll drive on down in the morning.

It's very important that you use the clamp the right way. Always close/tighten the wing nut closest to the tube your flaring 1st and leave the other side open more. Tighten the one wing nut fully that's closest to the tube and then use the "long" side to tighten last that has the leverage and most times not all the way or you will dent the steel line.

Hope that makes sense because I promise you it works and that's how you should use a tube clamp.

I did get some steel line recently that has some coating on it, gater gripe or some crap. I have not tried flaring that stuff yet. Steel line lasted 16 years, I'm good with that in a salty work environment. Don't need or want grater grip or what ever it is but that is what got delivered so I thought I'd try it?
I used regular steel line this week that was in stock here. It's replacement for my stock is that gater grip stuff.

Last edited by Challenger 1; 03/20/15 11:17 PM.