Quote:

i really hope this 383 of mine makes 500hp @ the engine. with decent headers i'd like to see 540ish. with a cam change i'm sure there's abit more there. i do have access to a mushroom lifter mini express cam but then i'd need all the other stuff to go with it. cash is the cork in my build. if a solid cam would make a decent jump in performence i'd swap the old mopar one out, as i used the mopar one as a good base line because it's so hard to find good info about 383 builds specialy with ez heads. i haven't found any info about that combo. in my head i'm thinking less cubes & short stroke = less wheel spin & what we lack down low we'll make up top. i'm very tempted to build another race 383 or 400 long rod motor & rev it to the moon . but that screams aftermarket block & weight loss.

Look in the tech archive , Dwayne porter built a 383 that was destined for stock eliminator that ended up making 500HP with unported 906's. He ended up having to add valve reliefs because he had negative piston to valve clearance. Once he added the valve reliefs and installed a good intake and carb it made 500hp.

If you have access to a 400 block that would be the better choice , but the hard part is making compression with the short stroke , think small chambers and domed pistons.

If you have a 440 crank and a 400 block that would be the way to go on the cheap.