Quote:

Just have a timing light at the ready ... connected and the distributor bolt ready to be loosened as soon as it's running and get the timing to 35* advanced ...Have the mixture screws out 2 turns , breaking in the cam you'll be off the idle circuit anyway and if your gas is 10% ethanol make sure to bump the primary jets up 2 or 3 sizes. .

I don't start an engine for break in unless it has a timing light, vacuum gauge, remote tachometer, and a "real" gauge mounted in the oil sending unit, along with a hand held temp gun, all at the ready installed, along with a large fan, or multiple fans,... to start an engine without any of these things in place is foolish, I want to know at a glance what's going on as the motor is turning 2 grand for the next 15-20 minutes, for the carb(s) settings I usually note the full number of turns for the fuel/air idle screws, and turn them all out 2/3's of their travel (as long as it's not a reverse idle circuit!) for initial start up/break in, and monitor assorted temps of the water, heads, block, intake, exhaust, and vac readings to ensure a happy motor break in period

mike