Quote:

Here's a pic of the four wheel drum distribution block that I am using for my four wheel disc conversion. The car originally had front disc rear drum AND a factory proportioning valve, which had to be removed. Properly designed and balanced brake systems that have either four wheel drums or four wheel discs use distribution blocks.

The "proportioning" of the brake bias from front to rear is governed in general by the size of the caliper bores in relation to each other. Rotor and pad size and composision also plays a role.

A proportioning valve is typically used in an attempt to balance the proportion of front to rear brake power. In general, it is a bandaid for a less than ideal brake design such as matching front discs to rear drums. In certain cases it can be a useful tool to balance the proportioning of brake bias during races to compensate for changing fuel loads, track conditions, tire wear etc.

Yup, and that's why I'm going to be looking for one to put on my Dakota. originally power disc/drum, it's now manual disc/disc but my truck is a 98...in 03/04 they upgraded to bigger discs, and 4wheel discs. that's where I got the rear discs from...and thye are actually LARGER than the fronts, although brake pad contact looks to be about the same.

however, since it's a truck and all the weight is up front, I'm gonna need a prop valve until I can find a set of front discs to match my new rears, that way I'll have larger discs with a larger swept area up front, and will be able to dial down the front bias for more even hydraulic distribution on the brakes.

if you are having trouble with fronts locking up first, or rears locking up first, you can adjust the bias with a prop valve for even braking. if all 4 lock up at the same time, then you can maximize your braking by getting the most out of each corner before one locks up and either kills your steering or brings the back end around.

**Photobucket sucks**