Just went through this on my '01 four-wheel drive. Long story, it's on here, search my posts if you want to see what happened.

Re-build:

I was quoted $3100.00 to drive it down there (if it would make it) leave it for 3 days and come back and get it. So, that was all labor, taxes, re-build of my trans (not someone elses'), torque converter, oil, filter, and a new transmission cooler. This is a highly recommended shop.

I figured it was half reasonable but I have ZERO faith in re-built transmissions. Everyone seems to have a horror story to tell of how after spending all that dough, the thing piled up 6 months later and it was a waste of money. Their warranty was only 3 months, 5000 miles.

So, I used car-part.com and found the lowest mileage 46re I could find ($800) and swapped it in myself. I've never done one, but away I went. I used the FSM and help from You Guys here on Moparts. I took my time, made a few mistakes, but it's in there and I have 1500 miles on it. It works and the wreckers gave a 3 month unlimited mileage warranty.

It wasn't easy, but I would still do it the same way. As a matter of fact, if a new 46re was available from Chrysler, I would have paid for it and still avoided a re-build.

The number one trouble-maker on these transmissions is the throttle position sensor. It has a hand in controlling the torque convertor lock-up and can give a false impression the trans is slipping. Next up is the brake-switch (again, lock-up related), a sticking cruise-control cable will mess with the lock-up, then the solonoid pack, then the check-ball in the cooler line and after that the mechanical bits: Mine was the torque converter failed.

So, unless you like punishment or don't mind laying awake at night trying to figure out what controls what and what it has to do with the computer............get a 5 speed.

I'm not a Mechanic, I can help you a bit if you get one, but I don't have all the answers.

Mo' Farts

Moderated by "tbagger".