Quote:

How about posting some pictures of the brake setup with the drums removed. Sometimes the shoes get swapped front and back as well as the hardware. Additionally, sometimes a groove is worn in the backing plate and restricts the shoes movement. Anyway, post some pics and the forum will give you places to check.
Ron

I agree with this. Pictures would be good. Check for primary and secondary for being swapped. Since you changed wheel cylinders, I assume the whole system was bled thoroughly. Might be worth checking the wheel cyl. diameters just in case something was changed since 1970.

I also agree with RapidRobert on cutting, and not cutting if not needed. If you do resurface on a machine, then the shoes ought to be arced to match. Not many places still do this. Porterfield and Rochester Brake and Clutch are two places that do.

The lining material can also make a huge difference. With drums on all 4, I almost always have preferred semi-metallic, which was getting harding to find at run of the mill parts stores even 20 years ago. You may have to go to Rochester Brake or similar to get what you want.

On most brands, you can get an approximate idea of the friction generated by the lining from the edge code. For all participating manufacturers, this is either ink or impression stamped on the edge of the friction material. EE is fairly typical, FF is better. Lower second letter, such as FE, indicates the friction reduces as the lining gets hot. A lower first letter, such as DE, indicates friction improves as the lining gets hot.

Friction is just one characteristic of the lining material. If you were talking to people in the business of friction materials for racers (like Porterfield or Rochester) you could discuss how 'grabby' and how well they release as well as the amount of modulation available from different linings.