Quote:

Quote:

He shifted it around 6500-6800. Obviously he broke it with excessive RPM. And it had heavy TRW 6 pack slugs in it.

What stories do you guys have?

You are making me cringe.

GTX still has "old school" 440 that I built in the mid 90's. Mcandless ported heads with oversize valves, battleship springs with titanium retainers and max wedge rocker gear with a 590 cam.

Forged six pack slugs, LY rods that are shot peened with ARP bolts.

On its best pass (11.2 at 124) it went through the traps at 7200. I remember looking at the tach as the needle was rising wondering if the blow shield would hold if the flywheel let go...

Motor still runs great though I bet the ring seal is not as good as it once was and she marks her spot time to time.

I ain't gonna lie to ya Gary 7200 on stock rods would scare me, but lots of people have done it. I built mine to turn 7K with Scat H beams, studded mains, and 525 gram forged pistons and I'm a little scared to bring it up that far.

What are you using for bearings out of curiousity and how do you like that 590 on the street?

If it makes you feel better the same friend bought a 67 GTX brand new and for 2 years spun the stock short block (never opened, so factory clearance on everything) to 7K, that was brand new of course though but the car saw street duty as well, never broke it. I'm guessing like many others the one on his garage floor started with a rod bolt.

Last edited by GTX MATT; 01/07/15 02:54 PM.

Now I need to pin those needles, got to feel that heat
Hear my motor screamin while I'm tearin up the street