Quote:

Most block heaters will do about 80% in 1-1.5 hrs. IMHO if it won't go at 80%, it ain't going anyway.

I don't usually plug in my N14 Cummins until it gets to single digits and it fires right up no arguments after about an hour. I have fired it unaided at -15 but it makes quite a fuss.

If I might suggest Gary, maybe check the current draw on the starter on that DT. At -5, in my experience it should have fired albeit with some difficulty unaided. Plugged in for an hour it should have fired like you just shut it off. It is only 466 cubes.

I think you might find that the starter is drawing a good bit north of 200 amps.

Kevin

I hear you, and can check it. Got one right in front of me right now in the shop. but I can pretty much guarantee you that none of my DTs would start without being plugged in at -5°. They haven't since 1985 when we got our first DT and not even new.

The new electronic DTs with the hi pressure oil pump will not start in the cold. Our old mechanical DTs maybe. That's been my experience with them?