Quote:

Quote:

The voltage regulator needs a positive ground.

While I agree with your post, just a note, "a positive ground" in this case DOES NOT mean to ground the positive terminal on the battery.

What it means is a good, solid, clean path to ground.

Wow I didn't mean to set off a firestorm here. I was originally curious as to if a dying battery would just show the constant charge which ended up being the case. My ammeter is DEAD center now with the new battery.

I am very familiar with the charging system of this car. All grounds are super good as I added a dedicated jumper from the regulator case to the engine ground strap. Voltage drop measured from regulator case to alternator case is just a few mV...my gauge shows 0 ohms. The only resistance I see is from one end of the negative batt cable to the other. When I wiggled it the resistance changed and so did the charging voltage (dropped).

My wiring is all MH reproduction harness including the bulkhead connectors. I packed them in dielectric grease so no corrosion at all.

I just wanted to report back and let you know what the problem was instead of disappearing like so many here do. Maybe somebody else can reference this thread now and fix their mess more easily.