Quote:

I don't think I'll ever need the overdrive the gearing and tire size will keep me out of it... But any pointers or tricks to making it live longer will be appreciated. Can I keep the 47 out of OD with a manual Valve body? Thanks

Unfortunately no. The OD units clutch is used in direct and OD. You'll still pull through the clutch with OD off.

If OD is not needed, you can just build a 727, or dare say I, a Turbo 400. The adapter on the back of the engine is available in Chevy, Ford, and Mopar. I'd say a Powerglide is out because your going to need 3 gears in the quarter with the rpm band of the engine. If your going to have one built, pick something that has gear ratios available for it. You can tailor the gear split to keep the diesel in it's narrow power band. Probably be best to check in with the Cummins truck drag race guys. They will be a lot more helpful on recommending a transmission and know what will live. I only know what won't!!

BTW, I think your going to want a lot more rear gear.

Last edited by CJD AUTOMOTIVE; 12/31/14 08:55 PM.

Craig Scholl
CJD Automotive, LLC
Jacksonville, FL
www.CJDAUTOMOTIVE.com
904-400-1802

"I own a Mopar. I already know it won't be in stock, won't ship tomorrow, and won't fit without modification"