Quote:

Quote:

A friend is seriously looking at a '68 Dart GTS 383 4spd car. Two things that concerned him was that the six numbers on the lower right corner of the fender tag don't match the last 6 numbers of the vin tag. Should these always match? And second, the numbers stamped on the 4spd matched up until the last number, it should be a 6 but it's a 9. The ownwer told him that he thinks "the production employee accidently held the stamp upside down". I've never been a numbers correct kind of guy so any help would be appreciated.

as said the numbers on the tag are the number stamped on the body which doesn't match the VIN on a 68. The Broadcast sheet is the only way to tie them together , though there may be something of some original dealership docs ?

As far as that last digit being off, totally possible, but the number stamps were held all together in one tool , they were not held separately. I assume the original block is not present? If the trans is wrong, then the engine would/should be also as they were stamped at the same time, with the same tool, by the same person.

Thanks for the response John! The present owner claims all numbers match so I'll pass the word on to my buddy about number stamp tooling.

1972 Dodge Challenger Rallye
UNDER CONSTRUCTION