Moparts

Numbers matching question? 1968 Dodge Dart GTS

Posted By: Scotts72Rallye

Numbers matching question? 1968 Dodge Dart GTS - 12/15/14 11:51 PM

A friend is seriously looking at a '68 Dart GTS 383 4spd car. Two things that concerned him was that the six numbers on the lower right corner of the fender tag don't match the last 6 numbers of the vin tag. Should these always match? And second, the numbers stamped on the 4spd matched up until the last number, it should be a 6 but it's a 9. The ownwer told him that he thinks "the production employee accidently held the stamp upside down". I've never been a numbers correct kind of guy so any help would be appreciated.
Posted By: 6bblgt

Re: Numbers matching question? 1968 Dodge Dart GTS - 12/16/14 12:03 AM

1968 383 Dart:
Engine & trans should match last 8 digits of VIN on dash
Core support & trunk lip should match the last 6 bottom row of fender tag (S.O.#)

S.O.# (Shipping Order number) on fender tag & VIN don't match in '68

The SPD (Scheduled Production Date) on fender tag has to be appropriate for the VIN

Post or PM those 2 & I can verify that they are at least "appropriate" for that plant & date

A single digit error is possible.

Re: Numbers matching question? 1968 Dodge Dart GTS - 12/16/14 01:20 AM

Here's a pic of the fender tag. Dan check your messages.

Attached picture 8363444-dartfendertag.png
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: Numbers matching question? 1968 Dodge Dart GTS - 12/16/14 01:40 AM

Quote:

A friend is seriously looking at a '68 Dart GTS 383 4spd car. Two things that concerned him was that the six numbers on the lower right corner of the fender tag don't match the last 6 numbers of the vin tag. Should these always match? And second, the numbers stamped on the 4spd matched up until the last number, it should be a 6 but it's a 9. The ownwer told him that he thinks "the production employee accidently held the stamp upside down". I've never been a numbers correct kind of guy so any help would be appreciated.

as said the numbers on the tag are the number stamped on the body which doesn't match the VIN on a 68. The Broadcast sheet is the only way to tie them together , though there may be something of some original dealership docs ?

As far as that last digit being off, totally possible, but the number stamps were held all together in one tool , they were not held separately. I assume the original block is not present? If the trans is wrong, then the engine would/should be also as they were stamped at the same time, with the same tool, by the same person.

Re: Numbers matching question? 1968 Dodge Dart GTS - 12/16/14 01:55 AM

Quote:

Quote:

as said the numbers on the tag are the number stamped on the body which doesn't match the VIN on a 68. The Broadcast sheet is the only way to tie them together , though there may be something of some original dealership docs ?

As far as that last digit being off, totally possible, but the number stamps were held all together in one tool , they were not held separately. I assume the original block is not present? If the trans is wrong, then the engine would/should be also as they were stamped at the same time, with the same tool, by the same person.

Thanks for the response John! The present owner claims all numbers match so I'll pass the word on to my buddy about number stamp tooling.

Re: Numbers matching question? 1968 Dodge Dart GTS - 12/16/14 02:37 AM

There are a few things to look for , the engine number will be stamped on the bell housing flange behind the drivers side head , and check the assembly date of the engine , it should be close to the SPD on the tag.

Also it may not be an 383 HP in 68 ??? I think they were rated at 330Hp for 68 ?
Posted By: savoy64

Re: Numbers matching question? 1968 Dodge Dart GTS - 12/16/14 06:06 PM

there are body production line numbers stamped on mopars----on some the front 6 digit number is on the radiator support in plain view and the matching rear number is hidden under the rubber gasket of the back window--near the package tray---these numbers match the data plate and the broadcast sheet----in some years the front number is moved to the area of cowl near windshield wiper motor----these numbers have nothing to do with the vin number....

Re: Numbers matching question? 1968 Dodge Dart GTS - 12/17/14 12:00 AM

Quote:

there are body production line numbers stamped on mopars----on some the front 6 digit number is on the radiator support in plain view and the matching rear number is hidden under the rubber gasket of the back window--near the package tray---these numbers match the data plate and the broadcast sheet----in some years the front number is moved to the area of cowl near windshield wiper motor----these numbers have nothing to do with the vin number....

Package tray was on earlier cars ... like a 64 Savoy ... 68 A/B body it was on the trunk rail under the weatherstrip, in 69 they changed it from the SO number to the partial VIN.

On cars that had it on the cowl it would have been the partial of the VIN as that started in 70 with the E body.
Posted By: Rhinodart

Re: Numbers matching question? 1968 Dodge Dart GTS - 12/19/14 04:09 PM

Nice car according to the fender tag!

Re: Numbers matching question? 1968 Dodge Dart GTS - 12/20/14 01:13 AM

Quote:

Nice car according to the fender tag!

My buddy put some money down. When the deal goes through I'll post up a picture. Just came out of a long sleep, last driven in '93. 50K original miles.
Scott
Posted By: 70 buzz

Re: Numbers matching question? 1968 Dodge Dart GTS - 12/20/14 01:49 AM

Lot of owners will make that claim. If the stampings on the engine , tranny, radiator support don't match the vin forget number matching. My two cents
Posted By: autoxcuda

Re: Numbers matching question? 1968 Dodge Dart GTS - 12/21/14 11:20 PM

Quote:

1968 383 Dart:
Engine & trans should match last 8 digits of VIN on dash
Core support & trunk lip should match the last 6 bottom row of fender tag (S.O.#)

S.O.# (Shipping Order number) on fender tag & VIN don't match in '68

The SPD (Scheduled Production Date) on fender tag has to be appropriate for the VIN

Post or PM those 2 & I can verify that they are at least "appropriate" for that plant & date

A single digit error is possible.

Where are the rear S.O. Numbers on a Fastback 68 barracuda? Still the trunk? If so, what side?
Posted By: moparfan53

Re: Numbers matching question? 1968 Dodge Dart GTS - 12/22/14 01:02 AM

Quote:

Lot of owners will make that claim. If the stampings on the engine , tranny, radiator support don't match the vin forget number matching. My two cents

As already mentioned, the radiator support stamping will not match the vin on a '68 model year car, that started with the '69 models.

Posted By: Grassosgarage

Re: Numbers matching question? 1968 Dodge Dart GTS - 12/28/14 04:09 AM

I know on a '67 Charger the rear stamp was down by the holes for the bumper bracket. I have '67 Dart I can't find a rear stamping in the trunk jamb or rear bumper area. Any idea where it is on '67 A body?

Re: Numbers matching question? 1968 Dodge Dart GTS - 12/31/14 06:24 PM

Thanks for the info guys! It was delivered yesterday. 1968 Dodge Dart GTS, 383, 4spd car. Been off the road since '93. 50K original miles with just a little bit of paint work done in the early 80's.

Attached picture 8379331-KevinsGTS2.png

Re: Numbers matching question? 1968 Dodge Dart GTS - 12/31/14 06:27 PM

Featured in Muscle Car Review back in 1987.

Attached picture 8379334-KevinsGTS.png

Re: Numbers matching question? 1968 Dodge Dart GTS - 12/31/14 07:20 PM

Quote:

I know on a '67 Charger the rear stamp was down by the holes for the bumper bracket. I have '67 Dart I can't find a rear stamping in the trunk jamb or rear bumper area. Any idea where it is on '67 A body?

You have to remove the weatherstrip and usually sand down to the metal to find the SO number on drivers side trunk rail. You can see where the area was spot welded in around where the hole is for the trunk light and to where the rail turns down. It WILL be there, but can't be seen with the weatherstrip adhesive and paint in the way.
Posted By: Tommy The Chryco

Re: Numbers matching question? 1968 Dodge Dart GTS - 01/03/15 01:32 AM

i understand the block and auto tranny would be stamped together, would that also apply to a 4sp bell housing? never saw numbers on one?

Re: Numbers matching question? 1968 Dodge Dart GTS - 01/03/15 02:22 AM

You know what, neither have I! I have had several 68 GTS 4-speeds and never looked!
Posted By: ScottSmith_Harms

Re: Numbers matching question? 1968 Dodge Dart GTS - 01/03/15 02:49 AM

4 speed was stamped on the trans in 68

Re: Numbers matching question? 1968 Dodge Dart GTS - 01/03/15 03:11 AM

So there was a flat pad in the same location like 69-up trans?
Posted By: ScottSmith_Harms

Re: Numbers matching question? 1968 Dodge Dart GTS - 01/03/15 03:12 AM

Yes, here's an example, trans assembled the very first day of 1968 production, August 01,1967.....So much fore the "early cars didn't get stamped" cheer leaders.

Attached picture 8383171-TransVINNoneNumbers.jpg
© 2024 Moparts Forums