Quote:

I fully expect my head and cam 6.1 to run better than a 440 of similar compression, with a bigger cam and aluminum heads to be fair.

I went with the new Hemi for three reasons:

1. Reliability (roller cam, efi modern accessories and o rings everywhere)
2. Parts availability (no need for many aftermarket items when I can get dealer parts that are far better.)
3. Power (without saying..these heads made it worth it. )

I'll second this and also mention the weight reduction benefit that others have said as well. Sit down and spend some time listing out your costs in a spreadsheet and I think you will find that you can get a good return on your 440/727 drivetrain and spare parts. The Gen-III stuff can be had for decent prices if you are patient. Join LX forums, those guys are changing parts like underwear all the time and there are plenty of deals if you dig around. Since the hemi uses the same bellhousing bolt pattern as the small block, there are more choices when it comes to transmissions as well. You can find lots of complete 5.7L drivetrains on E-bay for around 5k or less. Or just the engine with a harness for as low as 2k. I also suggest going with the in-tank fuel pump setup.