Back in the late 70s and early 80s I ran an Edelbrock str14 (tunnel ram with layed down runners) with a single TQ (tried some holleys too, they ran about the same) on an 11 to 1 440 in a 68 barracuda four speed car, 4.56 gears, hooker 1 7/8 fenderwells. Cam was in the 540 lift range, can't remember the duration. It would always start and run well and I street drove it almost every day I had it. It produced tons of low end and midrange torque. Ran out of breath around 6000 rpm. Would run around 11.10s and that was at 3000 ft elevation.

I have an article in the 2008 spring issue of hot rod do-it-yourself engines series magazine where they tested 18 different intake manifolds on a B engine mopar. It included an edelbrock str15 (the low block version of the str14) and it produced only average performance. I was surprised to see this since it seemed to work well on my 440 barracuda, maybe it's runner lengths and sizes are more suitable for 440. In this magazine article the clear winner seemed to be the weiand hi-ram tunnel-ram with the greatest torque and highest horsepower #s by a significant margin. Another intake that seemed to stand out as a good street performer was the dual plane edelbrock performer rpm.This article is a good read, find it and read it if you can. Interesting stuff.

Roger