Quote:

Wow that's crazy! I can see why it wouldn't last....

I did one like that for a racer years ago when the rules said no lightened gear sets. I machined pockets between the screw holes that bolted on the ring gear. Took me a lot of hours on a manual mill with a rotary table. Everything was machined with a radius, no sharp corners anywhere. The guy ran it for 4 seasons, lent it to another racer for a night and it grenade. He complained about how it didn't last very long! LOL like 2 seasons is pushing it on a gear set! He said he could feel the difference though? I think it was a 6:50 gear so the crown was really thick with lots of material removed. This was before you could buy them lightened. I've done a few gear clusters for T-10 based transmissions too. Funny how circle track stuff is all hush hush...
Fun times....

Oh that one pictured lasts fine.

We had another that was cut up WAY more that that one. That's the one that failed. It skipped a few more ring gear bolts!

Key is how you treat and maintenance the car. They always try push the car from a standing start. We used to HAVE to do that when we ran only ONE clutch disk in a multi staged clutch setup. Measured it every race. 2-3 races tops per disc.

Size and dedication of the crew go a long way.