Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

...I just got a pair of road course spindles I'm playing around with....

What features would constitute a road course spindle vs a circle track spindle?

What brand spindle?

Road course spindles are symmetrical/mirror image. Oval spindles usually have different pin heights, steering arm lengths, and different KPI side to side. Optimized to turn left .
I'm not sure who made these spindles? Laughlin maybe?
http://www.laughlin-racing.com/productlist.asp?cid=17
The hub is from Speedway Engineering. I think these were never used at the upper levels of Nascar because the steering arm was not welded to the spindle. First time I've seen a pair that were not welded? A buddy whom I've built a few parts for used these spindles when he raced in the Hooters cup series. They usually used recycled Nascar cars/parts.
At this point the only dimensions carved in stone is the upper control arm mounts and my rim tire combo/pin height ( because I just bought them(18"rims), and am not buying something different! LOL)
Brake combo's , upper and lower ball joint positions, LCA pin height ( If I build my own K-Frame) front steer/rear steer, rack etc.... are all "up for review" My plan is to use a stock lower control arm and torsion bars , but the rest....?
I'll have to see if I can find a different outer bearing (smaller OD) so when I make my hubs I can make the snout smaller so it fits in my wheel.

The price was right..... free so how could I go wrong?

In our local Track Super Late Model division they run/allow a fab spindle like that. Also the Southwest Tour as it used to be called run a fab spindle that was two piece.

Seems like now they tend to run a welded box frame Upright. And run the bigger Wide-5 type Spindle with the two big bearings.

Similar thing around here, wide 5 or fabricated sheet metal spindles. No one uses these type of spindles as they are too heavy for the smaller short tracks around here. Before the stock stuff dried up the 2 piece Olds spindles were the hot set up on 68-72 Chevelle based front clips. Now everything is Camaro based tube chassis, bump stop stuff.... Port City is the most common chassis supplier for those that don't build there own stuff
( which is the majority, most don't build there own stuff anymore)
Everything is lightweight and disposable, hence the skyrocketing cost of racing.

Most chassis here are built by 3-4 local shops. I think some cars up in Bakersfield use Port City cars or clips.

Many Late Model teams here have 18 wheeler rigs. Most Super Late (top division) have 18 wheeler rigs.

They used to do the Toyota Shootout here where short track guys would come from all over the county. Was covered on TV too. I knew a guy that had the ONLY open trailer in the pits. He finished top 4, IMHO. That was awesome!

Here's a big dollar center section the guys I know run. They ran one even more cut up, but didn't make it past 1 practice day and 1 race day practice session....

8295204-RearEnd.jpg (313 downloads)
Last edited by autoxcuda; 10/09/14 03:38 AM.