Quote:

I agree it senses volts and thats it.thats why its called a VR not an amp reg.It dosent care if the alt puts out 20 or 200 amps.If it did Ma would have had a bunch for the different alts it used.Rocky

I agree with you guys also. As you said the volt reg senses battery volts and if it drops below the volt reg setting (depends on temp for volt seting on most) of say 14.2 at a certain temp then all the reg does is allow more current to the alt field (rotor winding) until it see's the 14.2 or whatever the setting is at that temp. Then it cuts back the current to the rotor. If it gives more current to the rotor and it still does not bring the battery back to 14.2 it will keep giving more until all resistance is out of the field (mech reg) and at that point the reg will just be like tieing the reg wires together and giving full field current and volts. All the reg has to do is handle the full current flow of the rotor winding which I seem to have forgot the total amp draw for most alt rotors as I believe its around 5 amps. And on electronic regulators at full field it will ground the field all the time until the battery volts comes back up to setting. To control the field the electronic reg pulse modulates the field ground. So I would agree that a basic voltage reg can be used on most alt of high and low outputs. The larger output alt will depend on the rotor and stator windings but the field current draw should not change all that much. Ron

Last edited by 383man; 09/11/14 09:17 PM.