Quote:

Exhaust manifolds are restrictive and make cam selection even more critical IMO. Too much overlap (whether the result of tight lobe centers or fast ramps) causes excessive reversion that hurts torque.

Faster ramps are not always better, dual pattern cams are not always better, and unless your heads flow a lot at high(er) lift, the benefit of a street roller over a good solid flat tappet can be minimal.

And tell Dwayne I said "Hi" when you call him next time.

I agree totally. Andy F's article clearly demonstrated that when it comes to a manifold engine, limited overlap and fast ramps are about the only things that made a real difference, and even then only a couple of the custom cams were marginally better than the .528. And the smaller Racer Brown cam was surprisingly close to the .528 with great punch at lower rpm.

Then when you look at Keith's "Fading Color" article, only 1 solid offered a substantial power increase over the MP .590 with fairly minor variations of lift/duration. This leads me to the conclusion that all of these customs might offer marginal gains ( or losses) until you hit that "sweet-spot" of lift, ramp, duration, & lobe angle where respectable gains can be had.

Problem is since every engine combo is slightly different, finding that "sweet-spot" requires either previous experience with a given combo or a wad of cash & a dyno. Obviously Dwayne, Andy (and others) have plenty of real life experience with similar setups to mine, I'm sure either of their recommendations will work well. Just trying to arrive at the best possible choice when its time to pull the trigger next month.

Thanks for everyone's help.

'68 Bee 383/TF/Factory Air...high school sweetheart
'67 GTX Clone project,500 six pack,Hemi4-speed,Dana
05 Dodge Viper, 505 V-10, 6-speed Tremec