Quote:

Quote:

Questions / comments:
1. What did Dwayne P. suggest? And are you second-guessing him?

2. I'd be hesitant to run MM-type lobes w/o both EDM lifters AND nitriding... and I'm not so sure they'd be the right choice for an engine getting a lot of street miles. Something milder will be kinder to your valve springs, etc., over time.

I don't consider weighing the facts as 2nd guessing. You make a good point about wear & tear. Sounds like if I want to do something like option 2, I need to talk to Dwayne about a street roller but Andy Fs testing showed that more is not always better in this case. I have no doubt that Mr Porters recommendation will perform well but it's not clear to me that the extra expense of a custom solid or roller will buy much, if any, improvement in performance .

I was on the phone with Dwayne the other day going over the same stuff, I have a Solid roller that came out of Wayne Smothers 440 cube F.A.S.T. 69 A12 Bee , it went 120 something in the 1/4 with high compression. I'm finally screwing together my 383 based 451 F.A.S.T. build this winter and was originally asking about throwing that roller in a 10.0 383, he said it was too big and it wouldn't accomplish what I wanted ... 12.50 index class at the local track ... without wailing the pee out of the 383, plus slicks and headers w/no exhaust.

Dwayne has had his hand in a number of the F.A.S.T. BB wedge motors so I would go with what he says about cams ... be warned that a cam for exhaust manifolds will not work very well should you decide to swap to headers.

If you go with a Comp flat tappet get it nitrided and use the EDM lifters ... worth the money for piece of mind after I had a shelf comp go bad 6 minutes into break in ... better safe than sorry. I have/had a Comp solid that he had done for me , I for the life of me can't figure out where I put it when I pulled it out of the assembled long block when he talked me into upping the compression from 11 to 12.5 ... I still have the cam card so I can give you the grind number if you want to try that .