Quote:

With your setup I'd ditch the Ammeter in a nano second and just run a voltmeter.
The Ammeter was a good thing in the 30's 40's 50's 60's and 70's. But the generator was also good until the alternator came along.
Trying to run an ammeter on a system like your describing is opening the door for trouble with no real benefit.
HMMM how many vehicles made in the last 20 years have ammeters?????
There is a reason

The true answer is that it is much cheaper. Fire trucks, emergency power plants, even professional generators all still have ammeters. Remote shunt resistors are a new improvement that keeps high current wiring to a minimum. A volt meter will only tell you one thing: your battery is dead. But then you knew that when it went click click. On a lead acid battery, voltage is absolutely no indicator of the condition of the battery except when it is dead or has shorted cells.
BTW I am still waiting for someone to submit a burned up ammeter picture. I am getting tired of seeing the same Dodge truck picture that had a miss-wired snow plow attached to it. So far it is the only example I have seen in 50 years of police/fire maintenance and operation. You would think that if this was common it would show up more.
End of rant.

2014 Ram 1500 Laramie, 73 Cuda
Previous mopars: 62 Valiant, 65 Fury III, 68 Fury III, 72 Satellite, 74 Satellite, 89 Acclaim, 98 Caravan, 2003 Durango
Only previous Non-Mopar: Schwinn Tornado