Quote:

I've trying to read as much as I can on this. I'm afraid I have a cup&cone type sure-grip. I've already sealed up into the housing under the car. I have green bearings on the axles with old style flange crimped onto the bearing (mid 1990's). I'm not getting it to seat all the way against the backing plate. Probably about 1/8", maybe a little less. I tried to pull out what looks like the buttons, they only move in and out about a 1/4". I tried to spin them but they don't. I can see light from the other side of the axle around a portion of the top of what looks like a button. Is this still what is called a block and is not removable unless I disassemble the SG? Would bad things happen if I add a 1/8" spacer between the backing plate and the axle flange? Any insight would help, thanks!

that is a floating thrust block you have. the cross pin has to be removed to remove the thrustblock.

correct. it MUST be removed to run the greens with the crimped on retainer.

the better green bearing is the m400 IIRC-drdiff has them cheapest around for a set.

I removed a floating thrust block from my 742 case with out removing the cross pin. I used a hammer and cold chisel to break the block then acoounted for the broke piece = broke into 3 pieces.

been running it for yrs with greens since then no issues.

break the block out or tear it down to remove it or swap to the M400 greens with snap ring.

your choise but it has to come out unless you change greens.

I have been running a set of M400 snap ring bearings with a thrust block in my 489 case for over 9 yrs now.