Quote:

I can't seem to get your images to load, dang it. Parts are OEM '74 Duster from same car. Swaybar passes thru K member and the top of the bar is up against the top inside of the opening. Bar is installed correctly, flipping it over makes it worse as the "v" of the bar is against the K then. I'm thinking that since I used the stock brackets to mount the poly mounts to the K that they are not as thick as the bars that come in the kit. Just thin enough to allow contact. K is not damaged in any way. I'm planning on installing .25" spacers unless someone can convince me the bar should rest against the K in those spots. Any benefit to spacing the bar lower than that?

Ok, that info helps. It sounds like it's rubbing the half-moon stampings just at each opening of the k-member pass thru. There's usually some stamping flash on that edge too.

Hellwig brackets are thicker and will move the bar down some. Why are you not using the supplied brackets?

Are you using the Hellwig kit supplied bushings with U-straps? I don't think they will fit in the stock channeled brackets.

You can always space down much easier than spacing up. Once you get the spacing right, you can make a simple plate with two holes in it. Or run washers between sway bar brackets and K-frame.

In a past incarnation, I had to run big spacers in the factory brackets to use universal poly bushing/strap just with a 100% factory sway bar. The sway bar needed to be moved down and the universal poly bushing/strap will not fit in the narrow channeled factory sway bar to K-member bracket.

I sorta cheated the bar up a tiny bit as 75% of the bottom of k-members have made contact with some object in the last 35+ years. But I'm pretty confident you are hitting because you are not using the supplied hardware.

Click on these pictures to see them:

https://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/upload2/7162970-CopyofPICT0709.JPG

https://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/upload2/7162970-HellwigFrontSwayBarInstallSm18.JPG

Last edited by autoxcuda; 07/28/14 01:58 AM.