Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Any drop in replacements that don't break like the stock ones? I am looking for one that don't require balancing but don't break like the powdered metal.

Only drop in parts are pistons and rods for the 6.1 and 6.4.

It takes about 500rwhp to brake a 5.7 PM rod. You can't make that kind of power with a head and cam 5.7, so connecting rod failure isn't a problem.

I wouldn't worry about it, they aren't in danger.

I have 3 short blocks in my shop right now with broke rods, all 3 are stock motors, 2 from durangos and one from a ram. The big end of the rod is still on the cranks and turn silky smooth. 2 blocks are hurt and one is not. I own a repair shop and we see this failure being fairly common.

I am with HOTRODDAVE on this.. I have seen several of the 5.7's with the rod broke in the middle..The first one I saw like that was from a 2004 Durango with 95000 miles.. I swapped in a 36000 mile 2005 in its place then decided I wanted to build the 5.7 for a a race car so I started pulling it apart.. when I pulled the oil pan off a piece of the block fell out looked further and saw that the rod was broke in the middle.. the journal was/ is in perfect condition and the rod bearing is in good runnable condition.. The lady was in the last 15 minutes of a three hour trip from Dalhart Tx to Childress Tx..I started looking for another block to use for my build and found three more that had the same exact failure before I found a good block..I personally would not use stock rods in any build/rebuild but that is my choice..