Quote:

Quote:

I usually operate on the principle that if I can acquire the tools and the knowledge for around what it would cost me to have someone else do it I'll do it myself.

Take it to a pro. It'll cost a fraction of what the equipment will.

I'm big on DIY, especially when it gets me new tools, but A/C "tools" are not cheap.

Years ago I bought gauges, didn't know how to read them for 10 years or more.

Then did what you did put AC on one of my classic cars from bouchillon. I bought a vacuum pump to pull a vacuum.

I still didn't have what I needed to do it right, need a scale to put in the right amount.

Then found a recycling machine on Craigs list from a old retired guy closing up shop near my home. Cost me 600 bucks for a recycling machine, hand held electronic Mac sniffer and Mac dye injector and black light. Since then I have used it a lot at home and at work since I do mechanical work at work for a small fleet. I learned to use it on my own, trial and error and reading the instruction manual that came with it.
I installed AC on my second classic car since.

Should have never bought the gauges and vacuum pump, they were a waste of money. Even with a scale those 3 tools are not enough to work on AC because you need a way to remove the gas for repairs. It's too expensive to blow into the air like I did 20 year ago when I needed to open a system.

It's not hard to do on our old cars, pull a vacuum of 30HG, my machine runs for 15 minutes to pull out air and moisture, most times I run 2-15 minutes vacuum cycles and then leave it sit under vacuum for 15 minutes to check for leaks. Then tell it to inject 2.0 pounds in my challenger systems and in 15 seconds it put's in the freon(R134A) Your done. Gauge readings varies depending outside temps.

I did go to a Car Quest sponsored AC seminar after getting my old machine. Learned some stuff, mainly today's recyclers are more accurate as far as how much gas goes in. Today's AC systems use less gas and it's more critical getting the right amount into the car after repairs.
I have used my machine on new pickup trucks with no problem, worked fine.