Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I think it would look really weird to have a car with disc brakes have the rear drums painted red while the front having no red at all. Almost seem like it would be out of place.

Think how goofy it would look to only have a six inch blob of red if they did paint the front disc brake caliper.
Not painted is correct. Remember they painted them not for looks but for rust protection.

Uhhh....the red paint was intended only for styled wheels only, rust protection was not on the "list" of things this step was to accomplish, it was intended to accent the drum thru the "spoke/cut out" sections of the wheels

With all due respect, do you have a list of what the factory wanted to accomplish by painting these styled wheels? I really want to advance my knowledge on this with any factory issued guidelines. Please post them for all of us. Thanks

The reason I said what I did was I talked to a factory line worker about 15 years ago before he died, and he said they were painted so that the drum would not rust where it was exposed by the styled wheels. It really doesn't matter why, my point was just that they did it on drums only with styled wheels and not on discs.

With all due respect a factory line worker wouldn't have a clue why they designers and engineers decided to do this.

This was not a Mopar invention. They were simply copying a fad that was popular. Hot rodders were doing it for years simply because they liked how it looked.

I agree with Dayclona on this one.

Assuming this was because of a fad, this must mean that only cars with styled-wheels received red brake drums?

So, your normal taxi or family car, i.e., a Coronet 4-door with steel wheels, didn't have red brake drums?

When did Chrysler stop using the red paint?