Quote:

Quote:

Unless I'm missing something there are only two joints on the shaft.. The rag joint (closest to firewall) and the coupling joint (closest to steering gear).. what am I missing?

Earlier trucks had these reversed, the rag joint was near the steering box, and a different sort of joint was up near the firewall. His may have been factory, or it may have been swapped in.

A lot of guys like the earlier style because they are more forgiving with lifts, or bigger tires.

In your picture at the top end of the shaft (near firewall) you see the corrigated rubber boot this is the area I am speaking of. Mine does not have the boot (may just be gone) but I think you will find under the boot the shaft is surrounded by rubber, which on mine is worn out causing the play.

To back up a ways. My truck is an original 1978 LRET that has been converted to 4x4 by using the frame of a 1977 W150 and there of course are a mixing of parts to make this conversion work so I am not sure (but think so) if the 1977 steering shaft was used.