I've been PM'ing back & forth with John (Pittsburgracer) and he's been helping me out a ton helping me figure out my 60' and my stall options

I've always been primarily a stick racer for 30+ years so I've been trying to better understand the effect on stall and how you "target" your stall RPM to match the torque peak when you put the motor under load...and how it all relates to the Hook and weight you have to work with. It wasn't making sense to me why you would target your stall at 5300 RPM if your torque peak occurs between 4400 and 4800 (like a typical 12:1 408 with smallish heads and a 270-ish at .050 Flat tappet). but it's I suppose it's just like a clutch in that you're really targeting the RPM the load is going to try to pull the motor down to once it flashes to meet the load. I think I "get it" going dow nthe track it's just the getting off the line I'm vexed with....especially since I'm not trying to shock the tires very hard since I already have good initial hook for hte first 10-15 feet, my issure is I need to get to the fat part of the curve at that 10' mark and not further down the track like I have now. I'm not too far off, just far enough to be aggravated by it

I'm debating whether to loosen my 4000-4200 stall 9 1/2" (~$300) to 4800 (about the max I would dare flash the Rocky on the line. That would also help my issue with the vert pulling through the beams (overcoming the brakes) because a looser stall would be making less torque at the 3000-3200 2-Step setting.

The other option is a new Ultimate 8" on the tighter side (4800)...but that might not be in the budget right now....maybe I can pick up a good 8" core and Lenny can rebuild it for a little less all-in cost than an "all-new" unit.

maybe somebody can chime in about this. The "beauty of astroker is the torque "peak" tends to be broader and flatter than a shorter stroke motor of the same output. I would think that with a broader "sweet spot" (not much torque drop off on either side of the peak) it wouldn't necessarily be so critical to get the stall "dead on" the peak, you would have a bigger "target zone"? What am I not getting?

Thanks

BTW, not trying to hack, my motor is very similar so I think it's all related...

Last edited by Streetwize; 04/22/14 06:04 PM.

WIZE

World's Quickest Diahatsu Rocky (??) 414" Stroker Small block Mopar Powered. 10.84 @ 123...and gettin' quicker!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-mWzLma3YGI

In Car:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PjXcf95e6v0