i went to repaint the oil pan, which i had done with self-etching primer and mopar rattle can paint. i used some paint stripper, and it took the paint off nicely, but didn't take the primer all the way off, and left a not smooth surface. so i hit it with another round of stripper, and blasted it with the hose, hooked up to hot water.

it looked good, and seemed to take a lot of the primer off, but not all the way to metal. so i wire brushed it, got it nice and smooth, went over it all with scotchbrite, and then washed it with tide and a scothbrite type sponge. came out really nice. lots of traces of the primer, but smooth to the touch yet roughed up slightly from the wire brush.

painted it again, and it looks like crap. raised areas all over the place, i'm assuming corresponding to where the remains of the primer was.

so what now? i figured it was ok to leave that last bit of primer on there, but apparently not.

i don't want to media blast it, as that could leave little particles tucked in the baffles inside, but i assume i have to get this all the way to bare metal.

how do i clean this thing up and get it ready to paint again?