Quote:

http://www.carcraft.com/techarticles/1311_convert_a_ford_or_chrysler_ignition_to_gm_hei/

with pictures.

I think price is a bit of a wash. pertronix vs the hei conversion.
I prefer petronix.
it literally was the easiest mod I ever made to a distributer.
took 10 min. all the other swaps or replacments always made me reindex the thing so it would fire up the first time.
that was a drop in a fired right up.

never ran one for more than 5 years, but it was still running when I got rid of the motor.

Andrew,

Thanks for that link!

I started out reading this passively but the more I read the more intrigued I am. The article (and this topic), however raises a couple questions:
1. In the article, They say the old oil filled coils must be mounted vertically or they will overheat. Nearly every stock app I can think of has the coil mounted horizontally on the engine. What's up with that??
2. Just so I'm clear, this system (in the link) does eliminate the stock ECU; yes? So those wires connecting it are the ones used to connect to the GM thingy?
3. (okay one more) On the Pertronix system, there appears to be only a couple wires that will come out of the distributor and connect to the coil. If this system also eliminates the ECU, what happens to all the wires (5, iirc) that are connected to it? Are they the same ones that connect to the coil and dist. so they are eliminated as well?

Thanks,
Scott