Quote:

Do you need a large air compressor to sandblast effectively?
I have a small 6 lb 150 psi compressor, will it work effectively to sandblast rust off of say ,axles, manifolds, front end components etc.. ?

And if so, anyone have any recommendations of home sandblasting kits ?

Yes.
No.

Got any links or pictures of your air compressor...6 lb? what's that mean?

Even a true 5 horse 80 gallon tank will not keep up, with a gravity feed or pressure pot blaster.

As cheap as a pressure pot is from HF, why would you invest your money in gravity fed deal?

But I would not spend 100 bucks on the one from HF, I would spend 400 bucks for 90 pounder from TP tools or some place like that. It's a way better deal and a lot's more blaster that will last a lifetime and be easier to use and be a ASME tank.

Sure a 5 horse 80 gallon tank will allow you to do small stuff, but not really well and you waste a lot of time and media like what was said above.
My 5hp 80 gal tank comes on with in 1-2 minutes of me using my blast cabinet and never goes off while I''m using it. That means it struggling to keep up. Using my pressure pot blaster outside in the parking lot, I'm out of enough efficient air within 1-2 minutes tops, 5 minutes is a long time.

And I can promise you, that you gain nothing by adding storage tanks, you are truly limited by the output of the compressor, nothing can make up for that.

More storage tanks only prolongs the compressor coming on during which time your wasting sand and time with a lower output pressure. Then when the compressor does kicks on you have to wait even longer until you get to full pressure again. It's a losing battle and can't be won with additional storage tanks. It all works out the same in the end.

If you have a lot to do, your time and money ahead to rent a tow behind diesel compressor like they use for jack hammers.
Minimum 100CFM