Your post got high jacked!

E-coat stands for Electro coat or Electrodispositioncoating which is the application method not so much the product.

http://www.clearclad.com/clearclad_resources/ecoat.htm

There are however epoxy based e-coats. But not all epoxies are created equal therefore they will all have different qualities. Similar but different. So yeah they are different.

As for what to do since you have lost your chemical adhesion you will have to go for mechanical and thoroughly sand (read your primer tech sheet for grit recommendations) the panels and apply your primer. All should be okay from there. Do however be careful of cut troughs. For engine compartments, door jambs, trunks etc. I would try to set myself up to apply two coats of epoxy and topcoat per recommendations. Fastest, easiest, durable and least costly in the long run!

Now on to the epoxy as a topcoat it will start to break down as it has no UV protectants built in. So when it starts to chalk up get ready to repaint. That is why DuPont makes a Hot Rod Black. It is a matted single stage that has UV protectants in it so it will hold up as a topcoat when applied properly. There are matting agents for single stage colors as well as clear coats. Just an FYI for those that were not aware.

Later,
Geno

53 Buick 2dr hdtp 69 Super Bee - 383, D21, N96, B5, A39 70 Super Bee - 383, D21, J5 70 Dodge Crew cab 4x4 71 Super Bee - 383, D21, N96, Y8 Now all I need is time and money!