Quote:

I had that happen to me in Florida some years back during the winter series events ... just tightened her back up .... no problemO !

Dude, are you serious or just trying to get him killed Once the crush sleeve has collapse enough to allow the pinion nut to back off that sleeve is ruined OP, the 489 3rd members use the crush sleeves to set the pinion bearing preload, not to set the pinion depth You should pull the third member out so you can properly check it when done, wether(SP?) you use a new crush sleeve or a new spacer, you need to make sure that the pinion depth and the pinion bearing preloads are both set up properly One easy way to tell on a posi unit if it was ever in a 489 third member that was raced with decent power and traction is to look for the pinion teeth marks on the posi carrier to see if the crush sleeve collapse allowing the pinion gear to rotate back into the posi unit when backing up, if they(pinion gear) do back out they usually will lock up right away That is the main reason I recommend to drag racers to not use them(489 third members) with stock type crush sleeves

Mr.Cab Racing and winning with Mopars since 1964. (Old F--t, Huh)