Quote:

But the bottom line is, unless one is a carb expert, one is almost always better getting a new(er) carb.

However, recently (read: STILL) going through such trying to rebuild my AVS carb, this is sound advice. By the time I purchased the kit, the pull-off, the rod/jet kit, and all the ancillaries to clean/rebuild it properly, I was NEARLY at the level of buying a brand new carb. In my case, it would have been a 4160 of some form or flavor.

Most 3310's I see at the swap meets were worked on by Bubba Drag Racer and have things like holes drilled in the throttle plates, mismatched metering blocks, strip screw heads, etc. I'd avoid buying a used carb (of which you don't know the history) like the plague. One of the only reasons I decided to stick with my AVS, it was ORIGINAL to it and untouched, so I was fairly certain I could make it right.

eBay prices on used carbs are over-inflated. I see $200+ original carbs for sale (needing rebuilt), and prices for new carbs the same (or more) as buying direct from Summit, Jegs, etc. I guess there are a lot of numbers matching guys with deep pockets out there for the originals. I wouldn't mind finding myself a nice Superquad at some point, and that is probably the ONLY used carb I'd spring any amount of money to buy.

ex-Ford guy, but Mopars nowadays