Quote:

Hey guys I have a buddy who has a 68 charger with a 727 automatic. He swapped the 383 for a 440 and since the new engine was installed it has a constant vibration that seems to be coming from the engine or transmission. It happens all the time even in park so we know its not the driveshaft or rearend.

Any ideas on where to start looking to cure the problem?
Thank you
Stu

I'll tell you a short story, gleam from it, what you will...I purchased a vehicle several years ago from a mechanics shop, they had swapped out the old engine, for a low mile replacement, and of course there was a swapping of engine/transmission components to complete the swap, but now the vehicle had an annoying vibration, the ASE mechanics tried every approach of diagnoses, threw part after part at it...finally decided to unload it "as is"...I was interested in it, and of course queried all the ASE mechanics that worked on it, as to what was done, used, etc....the vehicle ran "ok", but had an annoying vibration at idle, in or out of gear, and at any speed cruising...I got it home, of course I started with the basics before tearing into dampners, converters, etc,....about 20 minutes into a general look over, I saw that the plug wires on cylinders 2 and 4 were crossed, after merely swapping the 2 wires, all was well in the world....although the ASE mechanic didn't like later hearing about the "quick-cure" to the vehicles so-called "problem" as he was fond of the vehicle and didn't really want to sell it, but the vibration issue couldn't be resolved, and his frustration with it, hastened it sale,...so start with the basics, and confirm them, before chasing ghosts

Mike

P.S....I lied, the story was a little long