I bought an electric fuel pump from NAPA 10 years ago (maybe longer) on my 4x4, one of those little square ones. The thing was flawless before the truck got wrecked, I used the pump to pump out 3/4 of a tank of gas before the truck went away. Probably should have pulled the pump too.
Every old Mopar I've had since about the early 80s has had an electric pump on it. In all those years, only one pump has failed, and that was just after a gas stop on the road, and there was pieces of crud stuck inside the pump and the pre-pump filter was nearly plugged. I replace the filter and the pump, then a couple hundred miles later I replaced the filter again, (Again it was full of crud, by the 3rd filter everything was good). I carried a replacement pump and filter along with the extra ignition box in a parts box I took everywhere I went. I have used those parts to help other people get home with their cars, but have not ever needed them myself.

Mounting near the tank, below the bottom of the tank, with the outlet end higher then the inlet has worked well for many years. I've not ever had one I could hear over a running car, but then again, most of my stuff isn't real quite. Gene