Quote:

Having an interesting time with Comp 1732 tool retainers.

I made the decision to run Comp tool steel retainers instead of Titanium on my 500 street/strip motor.

When I installed them, I found that my installed height went from 1.878 with Edelbrock steel retainers to about 1.954 with the Comp 1732's.

So I tried my MP Titanium retainers on the same valve, same locks, the installed height was 1.88.

Then I tried stock mopar retainers, same 1.88.

Out of curiosity I measured every one of the comp 1732 retainers on the same valve using the same pair of comp locks.

12 came out at 1.954
1 was 1.952
2 were 1.960
1 was 1.962

So effectively these were coming out at ~+.075 installed height, although the machining on 3 of them was less than spot-on.

I called Comp & explained to the tech support guy that if these are supposed to be machined at +.075 that they should at least state it in their catalog.

When I mentioned that 3 other retainers all came in at 1.88, he stated that "you can't compare these to other retainers etc etc. & that it depends on the spring...yada yada which I politely called BS on , in other words, we don't have a problem, you do.

I mentioned the sloppy machined height on 3 of the retainers, he seemed completely OK with it, offered no suggestions or resolution.

The guy was polite but really didn't seem to think or care that there was a problem.

Anyone had a similar experience with Comp?? I'm really getting fed up.....

We seen discrepencys similar to this and it end up being the wrong locks.The groove location on the locks,the angle must be correct(10* locks,10* retainers) as well as valve length and valve groove location on the stem.Also make sure the lock is seated to the valve and retainer completely.Have you measured the retainer thickness at the spring seat area? .