Quote:

Quote:

My truck has developed a faint chirping noise that speeds up and slows down based on wheel rotation speed.

I checked the calipers, shims, and pads last weekend but could find nothing wrong

I rotated the front hubs with calipers removed and could feel it was a bit less than consistent as far as drag goes.

I'm wondering of the front hub bearings are worn and approaching failure. Truck has 142,000 miles.

Anyone know of any history on this symptom, and a solution or it?

Hub replacement is fairly difficult and costly from what I have heard.

Let's face it, even if it's "just" the U joint you still have to pull the hub assy to pull the axle shaft, best to replace the hub and U joint if your going to tear it down, the factory hub assys are good for about a max of 150K, your just about there, whatever you do, buy the premium hub assy, don't cheap out, I did this and got about 20K on a cheap China set before I had to pull them again, busting them out the first time can be tough, a cold chisel, or impact chisel helps force them out of the knuckle, you'll need a thinwall socket, 36 MM IIRC for the front axle nut, and be sure to torque it back in place, 125 ft lbs IIRC, the hub assy is pretty simple to deal with, it's just prying them out of the knuckles that's a PITA, 2 bolts holding the caliper, 3 12 point bolts holding the hub assy from the backside of the knuckle, and of course the axle nut, put some anti-seize inside the hub bore before installing the new hub assy, and install a premium GREASE-ABLE U joint...

Mike

what he said.

If you like the truck and want to keep it, replace both hub bearings and the u joints with quality pieces. It is not an easy job but once you get it done it will be all set for a long time.

Rich H.

Esse Quam Videri