Quote:

I assume you don't have a dial back timing light or marks on the harmonic.
Unhook and plug vacuum advance again.
Set it to about 5 before TDC and go for a drive forget the vacuum advance for now if it pings back it off till it stops if it don't maybe try 2 more degrees. if it's still fine go home set the in gear idle the way you want it helper in the car is a must.

"Now" plug the vacuum advance into the timed port (the one to the left) should make no change in idle drive around and see if it pings at cruise under light acceleration.
If it does tune vacuum advance back with 3/32 allen key in through the port on the vacuum canaster on the dizzy turning counter clockwise a turn or two at a time till any ping under light cruise load is gone and you should be good to go.

Well I had some time this afternoon, so I followed these instructions carefully all the way through. Was kinda surprised when I started adjusting the allen head screw in the dizzy, it was screwed all the way in clockwise so backing it out was the only way to go (which is what you suggested anyway). Got it adjust out probably a few complete turns before the ping was totally gone.
But anyway, the car seems to be running good and no ping so i'm happy.
Only weird thing is, after adjusting with the vac line disconnected and plugged, when I finally got the dist adjusted to where I had no ping, I stuck the timing light back on it cause I wanted to see what it showed. It was reading about 15 degrees after. I guessing that the outer ring of my damper has slipped, cause theres no way that that reading could be correct, and it's running good like it is.
Anyway, good to have it adjusted, and have the vac advance adjusted too. Never knew about that adjustment before.
Thanks