Quote:

Book says 0, With the vacume hooked up, it reads about 5 degrees after.
With the vacume disconnected and plugged it reads about 20 degrees after ? WTH?

(1) forget what the book says as that is for a stock '71 (I'm assuming 71 model year eng). (2) What Dodgem said, you are on manifold vacuum & I'd go to ported (on pass front of carb) & cap the full vacuum nipple on the drivers side. I'm not sure how wild that cam is but I'd set the initial at 10 or 15 depending on the cam's wildness with the vac adv on the pass (ported) side & I'm assuming the idle speed is low enough that you ain't into the carb transition slots at idle (that you have no ported vac at idle) but to be sure I would cap the line then set the initial (10 or 15) then plug the line back in. Then with the initial finalized (I'd actually prefer to use the vacuum gauge method to get it spot on) I'd then shorten the slots to get 35 total & this is initial + slot advance amount checked with the vac adv capped. then work on the springs going heavier till you are just under the pinging point at WOT up thru the gears on your hottest/driest day. THEN plug in the vac adv to ported on the pass side & adj it (2 adjustments) & more on that later. Any ping you can hear is WAY too much pinging. Is this a Mallory based MP dist or older 70' one & what springs are in there? I would check the reluctor gap & want .008" at it's closest point checked with a vac pump

live every 24 hour block of time like it's your last day on earth