Quote:

The pit is actually a myth, lots of cars have blackout on top of the lower horizontal surface of the radiator yoke.

If the person spraying it was in a pit under the car, he would have needed a ladder or very long arms for that to happen.

Well I'm glad that someone actually knows what they're talking about! I wish the rumor would stop about someone spraying the blackout in a pit-that was the undercoating line. Before he passed away, I spoke to a guy that worked in the St. Louis factory paint section between 67-71. He said they simply stuck their hand through the grille opening and sprayed as quickly as they could to get some black in there. He also explained that sometimes they just sprayed every car that came down the line-some guys would fill in the job temporarily and didn't know which cars got it & which cars didn't.
That would explain all the black paint on the top of the front valance-it would be absolutely impossible to get paint there if they were in the proverbial pit believed by many.
As a side note, I have many pictures of blackout on 69 F8 cars.