Quote:

The NV 2500 and the NV 3500 are light duty trannys and are not really suited to being behind a torquey engine. If your thinking what Im thinking you are you want the NV4500. Those came behind the 360s.. IIRC you will definately have floor pan clearance problems if you dont have the stick floorpan.

I've never driven an NV4500, but aren't they "truck gearboxes" big, clunky, difficult to shift quickly?

the NV3500 I had in my Dakota worked great. behind a stock 360 I would never worry about it. they're rated for 350 ft lbs if you get the close ratio version (a 3.48 first gear ratio vs the 4.01 first gear ratio in the "wide" spread version) the stock magnum 360s make 345 ft lbs, and unless you put on sticky slicks and try to launch it off the line at 5,000 rpm, you will not break it.

My 360 is making 285 RWHP and 325 RWTQ, so I figure that it's about 375-400 ft lbs at the crank, and 350-360 hp at the crank. I'm fairly confident that even with that power level, as long as I didn't use sticky tires or abuse the gearbox with power shifts that it would last a long time behind that combo.

but, that said, I upgraded to a T56 anyway, because I know that someday, I'm going to want to put some good heads and maybe a stroker crank into my 360, and that my power levels will increase dramatically.

**Photobucket sucks**