Well guys, my father and I left this evening from Detroit headed to Arlington TX for the Hot Rod Power Tour in his 68 GTX (440/727). Everything is great, running along fine. We pull off to get gas, and the car is dead inside. I mean DEAD. No click with the starter, gauges don't light, none of the newer accessories (electric fans, fuel pump, gauges) run, nothing.

We started walking through everything with a test light, and there was no power to the ignition switch, so we made a jumper from the starter relay to the ignition switch through the firewall. The battery was too dead to start the car, and my jump box apparently is not enough to get it going. I couldn't specifically run down where the problem was with the feed to the switch. The only obvious issue is a blue w/tracer burnt up wire coming out of the ignition switch, but everything leading up to it is fine. The battery is dead too, so the car apparently hasn't been charging either.

We left the car at the gas station we stopped at 3 hours later, after the clerk reassured us it will be okay for the night. We checked into the hotel across the street, and I'm here in their business center printing wiring diagrams off. I realize now that our jumper is not feasible, since that wire feeds juice back out to the engine compartment. So the plan for the morning is to get the jumper functional per the wiring diagram and continue walking down the electrical system with the check light, then walk the battery down to Autozone to get it checked out.

So far, still nothing that really explains why the car was running awesome, then was immediately dead. Also nothing that explains why the blue wire is toasted...

Anyone have any other ideas on where to look for here? If we can get it fixed and find the root cause of the issue by noon we are going to continue to Arlington, if not we are heading home (either on the trailer or driving if we get that far). This is the third trip for us on HRPT, and the first breakdown we haven't been able to solve quickly...

HELP!

1979 Ramcharger, 360/727/HD44F/D60R 1968 GTX, 440/727/8.75