Quote:

Quote:

If it was blasted with brand new clean media, it is ready to prime with epoxy, although I like to sand the surfaces to remove most of the texture that blasting leaves and any little flecks of paint etc that were not 100% removed and then use a final wipe. If recycled media was used you better use a wax and grease remover. I don't let anyone touch my sandblasted or bare metal parts. Always wear latex gloves or you will have rusty fingerprints show up years later under the paint. I've seen it.
Do not use self etching primer on blasted metal. The textured finish will retain the acid and cause problems later too. Same goes for metal prep. Never use metal prep acid on blasted metal. It is only to etch smooth metal.
I don't like tack tags very much either. They can cause fisheyes. If you insist on tacking it use a brand new Quality blue base/clear tack cloth and not one of the cheap ones.

Beautiful 72 Charger by the way! Love the 72 Rallyes!

he's right on all accounts although I would differ a bit on the media issues - the media will still leave dust & possibly oils on the metal, media breaks apart upon impact. This is why a complete washing is necessary AFTER blasting.

Ask yourself that after all the work your going to put into a good paint job is it worth scrimping on a little extra cleaning to insure a good job? I dont think so, you're certainly not hurting anything & only providing insurance of a better job.

As far as tack rags use as he suggested but immediately prior to spraying paint walk the car with the air only spraying from the gun & blow off car for one last dust removal - then spray.

A good paint job takes a tremendous amount of prep work. Good luck & show us when its all bright & shiny!

I have been blasting with silica sand and now coal slage and also urea plastic media and have never done anything other than blow it off and then prime without ever even touching the metal.

I have done countless projects and the metal don't need to be cleaned after blasting using the media I mentioned. I have done it hundreds of times for my own equipment and customers equipment since like forever.