Quote:

I'm finishing up with the paintwork on a 72 Duster. Inferno Red body with a Matte Black performance paint treatment. The Matte/Flat clear coat I laid down has what can be described as tiger stripes in the clear. In reality, there is alternating levels of sheen as if the clear is still drying.
I sprayed it yesterday during a daytime temperature of 75 degrees. I laid on 2 medium coats with a 50 % overlap using the same cheapie harbor freight gun that I have used many times before. It is a gravity feed gun with a 1.5 tip. I get NO tiger stripes using these guns, even shooting metallics or pearlcoats. This clear is a PPG product that has given good results in the past.
My instincts are to wait it out, thinking that as the clear cures, it will flatten out. I suspect that the glossy areas will dull down as they fully dry. I obviously won't be satisfied with an uneven finish. I am curious as to what can be done if the situation doesn't improve. I cannot pinpoint what caused the striping other than my IMperfect painting skills, so a respray could return the same results. Can the surface be dulled down by other means?
What do you guys think?

My says the gun is not clean enough inside...has built up paint in it causing it not to flow enough material and air to get the paint to lay right.

Even if when you clean your gun thoroughly each time after painting it builds up and has to be soaked and cleaned well while it is apart to get it to flow enough air and paint sometimes.