I'm finishing up with the paintwork on a 72 Duster. Inferno Red body with a Matte Black performance paint treatment. The Matte/Flat clear coat I laid down has what can be described as tiger stripes in the clear. In reality, there is alternating levels of sheen as if the clear is still drying.
I sprayed it yesterday during a daytime temperature of 75 degrees. I laid on 2 medium coats with a 50 % overlap using the same cheapie harbor freight gun that I have used many times before. It is a gravity feed gun with a 1.5 tip. I get NO tiger stripes using these guns, even shooting metallics or pearlcoats. This clear is a PPG product that has given good results in the past.
My instincts are to wait it out, thinking that as the clear cures, it will flatten out. I suspect that the glossy areas will dull down as they fully dry. I obviously won't be satisfied with an uneven finish. I am curious as to what can be done if the situation doesn't improve. I cannot pinpoint what caused the striping other than my IMperfect painting skills, so a respray could return the same results. Can the surface be dulled down by other means?
What do you guys think?

Last edited by Frankenduster; 04/07/13 02:12 AM.